Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday Photo


Sorry there have not been any updates this week. Its been crazy at the house. Tuesday night we found out that the freezer in the basement had not been working, so almost all of the food was bad. So after I gave the kid a bath and put her to bed, I took a garbage can downstairs and filled it with thawed meat and other spoiled items. Then Wednesday my wife is feeling so ill that I barely started work when she called me back home. I tried to pull double duty with work and taking care of her/the kid. She was feeling at little better yesterday, but I stayed home and took the day off from work, but still called in to a conference call and answered a few emails. Today we have some friends coming into town for the weekend, and they are going to go to a few baseball games, while the wife works her taxes I get the kid. WHEW!

Onto the photo!

This is from one of my favorite spots, Leo Carillo State Beach in Malibu. One of the few spots in SoCal that has a great sunrise, which is this. In order to get there for the sunrise, and even before as this one is, I used to plan on being there at least 45 minutes before sunrise. When I lived in OC, it would take me about an hour and a half to get here. Some mornings were easier than others to wake up.

So this particular morning I think I must have been running slow, cause I was in a hurry. I could see that the clouds were going to be cool, and I had to get to get to "my spot". I knew this spot so well that it would be worth it to get there, even a little late. This morning also happened to be New Years Day, so there wasn't much traffic out.

So when I get to the spot, I had to pull a quick and questionable u-turn. It's right off of PCH. There was only car way behind me, so I do it. Guess who is in the car behind me? The Highway Patrol! My heart sank when he pulled a u-turn and pulled up behind me. And here am looking at not only a ticket, but missing out on getting the shot! I had my gear on the passenger seat when the officer stepped up to the car. After greetings were exchanged, he asked what I was doing, and I told him that I was here to get pics of the sunrise, and I pointed it out to him. (I must have seemed a little excited.) He glanced up at the scene, looked at my gear,(I was still using 35mm at the time, but I still had my bag, tripod, etc), and reminded me that it was a questionable move to do the u-turn, especially after New Years Eve. I thanked him and he didn't give me a ticket after all. WHEW! I don't even think I waited for him to get back in his car before I was running down to the beach.

I got other pictures this day, so of which will be posted later. On this day I found out that there is no such thing as having too much film...

4 comments:

Dusty said...

Hi Papias,

Thanks for sharing this with us. It is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing the others.

It is cool to hear the story behind the picture. Glad you did not get a ticket. What a fun adventure.

Erik said...

Thanks Dusty! :)

I wish that I could say that getting a picture NEVER resulted in getting a ticket... :)

Dusty said...

LOL oops. :) Guess this officer was as taken in with the view as you were.

there were more than one....

Now you have to share with us some of your other adventures in photography.

Erik said...

Dusty,

I will be posting a new pic every Friday.

If nothing else, it gets me thinking photography again....