Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Cast Out, Part1

My first attempt at writing a Zombie type of story. Please give me any comments or suggestions.

David’s account -


No one knew HOW it started, but everyone knew WHEN it started. That was the funny thing. Looking back, it was just business as usual until that day, or as I experienced it, that night. I always thought these things started in one place and then spread out, but not this one. This came on everyone like a ton of bricks.

Once again I was up playing games on the computer, with my lights off at night. The TV was on while I sat there playing a game of one kind or another: FPS, RTS, whatever I felt like, with whoever was on the network. I had my list of “friends”, but they were total strangers, except in the game.

As it was getting later, I saw people dropping off – “wimps!” I whispered under my breath –“get back on and play me!” “Mommy is probably telling them to go to bed.” With no one else on the network, I kept on going for awhile against the computer – at least this one game had pretty good AI, and I didn’t feel like going to bed yet.

I didn’t notice the TV again until I heard the news break in for a bulletin. I had to pause my game for a sec.

On the TV the news person was the reporter that I had seen do those “human interest” stories, and she was onscreen - but in the newsroom. She didn’t have any makeup on and looked…stressed. She fluctuated between rapid fire excited speech and quiet pauses of shock.

“There are unconfirmed reports coming in that say…Is this right?....that the dead are walking. Dead people? ….Yes, its people…. Dead people are getting up and walking? We are watching monitors from several ..OH MY GOD!!!!”

Her eyes were bugged out, like they just saw something that she was still processing in her mind.

“Did you just see that? What the….? What just happened? It looked like someone grabbed his arm! Blood!”

“Wait! What are you doing in here?” The camera got tipped over and then there was a bunch of yelling.

I got up to change the channel, and that’s when I saw the figure out my window. I just stopped.

Who the heck is that? She was naked. “Why is she walking around naked?” I asked myself. She also looked like she was wet. I went to the window to look out, but not so I could be seen.

She looks like my neighbor from a few apartments down. I had spoken to her a few times, but I didn’t really know her that well, except that she was divorced and seemed kind of lonely most of the time. I just spoke to her a few days ago, and she seemed happy enough.

Now she was…shuffling…or something like that, not really walking. And her arms were...dark around her wrists.

She turned toward my apartment. She saw me. I felt like a peeping Tom. She turned and kept coming toward my window. My heart was already pounding. I had to think straight. What do I do?

I slithered over to the door, just enough to look through the peep hole and see if she was still coming. Oh CRAP! She almost here! What do I do? My mind was saying “She’s gonna turn you in as a perv!” or “Maybe she interested in you?”

I stood still. Not breathing. I took a breath out of my mouth. My heart was pounding. “Stay calm” I told myself.

I heard her at the front door.

She spoke. “Open the door. Come out.”

But that was NOT her voice!! It was low, guttural….evil.

There is NO WAY I am opening this door!

She spoke again. “Open the door. Join us.” That voice again!

She banged on my door. Even though I knew she was there, it still made me jump.

What do I do? Think man!

I remembered my gun in the bedroom. Somehow I got it and back to the door before she pounded on the door again. She was getting more forceful.

“JOIN US!!!” She raised her voice. But it was still NOT her voice!

She pounded on the door again.

I looked through the peephole at her. With the porchlight on I could see that her hair was wet, but it was her eyes that made me stop. Her eyes were black. Solid black.

I heard another voice outside. “Hey, what’s going on?”

She turned toward the voice. It was my next door neighbor Bob.

Bob asked “What are you doing there? What’s the matter with you?”

She moved towards Bob and was on him before I could open the door.

He put up his arms to block her, but she grabbed one and bit down. Bob screamed.

“Stop!” I yelled at her. She was eating his arm!

I took my gun and pistol whipped her.

She didn’t react. She kept eating!

Bob was screaming and saying “Shoot her! Do it!”

I hit her again and again. No reaction.

Bob kept crying out “Dave! Shoot her! Please!”

I moved around to her side and took aim at her.

“Stop or I’ll shoot!”

She kept eating.

I fired one round at her chest. It went in and …no reaction from her. I fired another round at her and it got the same response.

She then stopped eating his arm, long enough to pull away from it and look at me. Even though it was dark, I could make out that she dropped her jaw as if she was going to ..BAM! One round into her mouth and shattering her skull.

She dropped to the ground with a thud.

Bob was crying, holding his arm. Blood was all over the place.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Ooo so your zombies can talk!

I like it. I will be expecting more.

Jena said...

I like the style! Seriously. It's good.

Jena

p.s I followed from Laura's site.

Erik said...

Laura - Yes, they talk. Did you notice any other "non traditional" zombie thingys?

Jena - Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a hot wet naked lady Zombie to make for an exciting evening.... I got into it. Nice job. is there gonna be more? Oh, I came from Fetch My Flying Monkeys also.

Laura said...

Well, she knocked. That's un-zombie like. They'd be scratching more than likely.

Also, I hope you shoot your neighbor in the head now that he's infected.

Erik said...

Laura - I should have used scratching, would have been good. What other word word would you use to describe a zombie at your door and using both of its hands to get at you?

You DO NOT KILL THE LIVING. Did you miss that on the Walking Dead? Also, what makes you think that he's infected? (Insert smirky smile here.) I am doing a little bit different take on the genre, so even if you get bit, you may not die due to zombie infection.

Laura said...

I would think a zombie would do a clumsy pawing at a door. But I'm no zombie scientist, so don't listen to me.

Oh, I would SO kill the living. I would go up to all my enemies and scream "I SAW A ZOMBIE BITE THEM!!" Kapow! But that's me.

Erik said...

Laura - after the zombie apocalsype, when you have your gathering of survivors, and they see how well my group are doing, one of them will give you up.

yes, perhaps pawning, or some other kind of verb. Pounding implies some force....gonna have to work on that one. Maybe I need a huge book of synonems and stuff. What are they called?