Friday, May 09, 2008

Friday Photo


Funny story behind this picture...

Landscape photograghers spend alot of their time "scouting" an area before shooting that area. So I am driving in Malibu for the first time one weekend day, and pulled to the side of the road(PCH), along an area called Leo Carillo State Beach. Lots of other cars are there, so it must be OK right? Walking around the beach I found this tree and previsiualized the picture at sunrise, and I knew it would work - but I would have to get out there before sunrise to get the shot. After walking around for about 2 hours I get back to the car to find not one, but two parking tickets! They were from different jurisdictions, but one was from Malibu and I had to appear in court one particular morning, during the week. This looks like a good reason to take a day off of work, get up early and drive out to Malibu again!

So that's just what I did: got up EARLY and got out there to get this shot - which is actually a double exposure with the moon, but done "in camera". (You advance the film while holding the film release button on the bottom of the camera, thereby causing the camera to think that you advanced the film, when in reality you have the already exposed film ready to now lay your next shot on top of, in this case the moon. IMO - this technique is the truest to a non-darkroom double exposure).

After shooting that morning, I went to court. My dad had told me that getting two tickets for the same offense was not legal, so when the judge called my name, I asked him about getting the two tickets. He confirmed that the other ticket should not have been gibven and wrote it off. I tehn had to pay the fine, and I think go to traffic school for the other one, but at least I only had to pay for one ticket and I got a few good shots that morning.

This trek also started me on the "early morning Malibu drives" that I began to do - once I realized it wasn't that hard to get up to get these kinds of shots!

No comments: