Thursday, September 30, 2010

Like the Friday Photo, but early..


Yosemite, about this time of year, but probably 15 - 20 years ago. View from the Tunnel overlook at about 9AM.
Funny story behind this photo. My buddy and I would go up to Yosemite to shoot pics, and we didn't really expect it to get cold. Or rain. Or snow. Which it all did the night before I shot this pic. We rented a canvas tent "cabin", which is fine during the summer...I think we each slept with 6 - 8 army blankets.
So I got up the next morning, and there was snow on the mountains, but not in the valley. I went back to the cabin to wake up my bud, and he wanted to sleep. I jetted off to shoot and got lots of shots, cause I was still using 35mm film at this time.
I got up to the Tunnel overlook and there were a few photogs there already, most of them using large format. I get out and set up the tripod and start cranking, getting the fog moving through the valley. They are still setting up their shots. I think that the fog disappeared before they were able to shoot it.
I never forgot that moment, even when I moved onto large format - setup quick and get the shot!
So when I got back to the cabin, my bud was kinda mad at me for leaving him at the cabin. But we went out and got more shots, but the scenes had changed from earlier in the day.
My bud got kinda mad when I got my slides back and he saw what he missed.

No comments: